Monday, December 9, 2013

exercise 7 proportional symbol map


Proportional Symbol map of Total amount of hospitals per state

This map shows the total amount of hospitals per state. The in structions for this exercise were to create a proportional symbol map by finding data from the internet that would display variation across the area being mapped. The base map was exported from ARCMAP and the data was collected from kff.org/other/state-indicator/total-hospiatls/. I chose to go with the area of the United States where  my data was collected and mapped over. One of the hardest and most frustrating parts of this exercise was finding data to map in the first place. I had may ideas for what to map there just wasnt data available to make the map or it didnt display well when it was changed into symbols meaning there was little variance in size or that the data didnt vary enough. I learned in the process of making this map that it is very easy to make a map to cluttered and over complicated. I was forced many times to downsize to overall size of the symbols  so that the workspace did not feel to cluttered. I also chose not to go with an inset legend since i had a lot of open space on the right side of my map that needed to be filled to maintain visual balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment